All KU mascots must be full-time KU students, or have been admitted for the fall. To try out for Big Jay, you must be a 6'1" to 6'5" and fit into the Big Jay costume. To try out for Baby Jay, you must be 4'11" to 5'1" and fit into the Baby Jay costume.
Tryouts for the 2014-15 season will be April 11 & 12, 2014. If you're interested in trying out this year or in the future, contact email@example.com. To try out, submit the Tryout Packet (pdf) by April 5, 2014.
Tryout Video Essay
Be creative...submit a video on why you want to be a mascot for the University of Kansas and what would you bring to the team. The video should be 1 minute long, a skit, a movie scene, a song. Use props, sound effects, signs. Again, be creative with your video essay. Submit with your application to the Spirit Squad Office by April 1, 2014.
Mandatory Summer Camps and Work Weeks
• July Work Week- Sunday, July 13th- Saturday, July 19th 10 to 3pm
• Kids Overnight Camp 3-5 grades- Sunday, July 20th-Monday, July 21st
• July Work DAY- Tuesday, July 22nd 10 to 3pm
• Kids Day Camp K-2 grades- Wednesday, July 23rd
• High School Overnight Camp- Thursday, July 24th- Saturday, July 26th
• Depart for UCA/UDA Camp- Wisconsin Resort, WI- Tuesday, July 29th
• UCA/UDA Camp- July 31st- August 3rd
• Return LATE August 3rd/early hours of August 4th morning
Mascots receive $300/semester, plus $50/semester if GPA is 3.0 or higher.
What to Wear at Tryouts
Wear comfortable presentable athletic clothes (shorts and a t-shirt) and shoes.
Mascots will be selected based on their appropriateness and entertainment value.